Today, we’re excited to open OB1 pre-sales to the general public.
It’s hard to believe how much has happened in the last few months. We’ve received great coverage from Bikerumor, CyclingTips, BikeRadar, The Gravel Ride Podcast, Cycling Industry News, Road Bike Rider, and other respected outlets. We spent weeks in Asia and countless hours on late-night calls with some of the top factories in the industry to dial every last detail on the OB1. We progressed from our first prototypes to a heavily-ridden demo fleet, golden samples, and the start of full production. And throughout the summer, we invited hundreds of waitlist subscribers to be among the first to receive their bikes.
Co-creating the OB1
Since our first announcement on the OB1 back in May, we’ve spent lots of time with fellow cyclists, mechanics, and factory partners putting the finishing touches on the OB1. Here are some highlights:
- We upgraded our wheelsets to include DT Swiss’s venerable DT350 hubs (centerlock, 28H, J-Bend, 100x12mm thru). We also completed testing of an advanced new resin additive that improves our carbon rim’s already exceptional strength-to-weight and impact resistance by approximately 20%. More on this in a future announcement.
- We introduced four build kits (The Dirt Shredder, The Roadie, The Adventurer, and The Founders Edition) to help riders create their dream bike. And of course, there’s still our “design your own” option for those wanting to fine-tune every last detail.
- We opened applications for our approved partners program, a growing network of qualified professional mechanics, fitters, and shops ready to welcome OB1 riders with open arms for frame-up builds, fits, and other services.
- Our lead times are now down to 12-16 weeks, and we hope to ship as early as October to those who order early.
- We increased our warranty to 5 years. Together with our no-bull crash replacement program and commitment to honesty, integrity, fairness in all that we do, we want you to know that we’re in this together.
Let’s ride together
We love meeting fellow cyclists, and we want to meet you. With that in mind:
We’ve introduced personal OB1 consultations to make designing your dream bike easy and joyful. If you have questions on fit, gearing, or other aspects of your build, we’re here to help via email, call, or video chat. We promise to give you the same honest advice we’d give our friends, even if that means recommending a bike that isn’t ours.
We’re offering demo rides by appointment here in San Francisco. Ride over the Golden Gate Bridge and experience the epic oceanside climbs, ripping singletrack, harrowing descents, and quiet camping spots that inspired the OB1. You’re sure to come back with a huge grin on your face.
- We’re throwing several launch parties in August so that folks can meet us, test ride the OB1, and receive in-person consults for designing their own dream bike. Plus, we’ll tell funny stories. Join us this month in San Francisco (Aug 8), Boston (Aug 16), Kingston NY (Aug 20), New York City (Aug 22), and sign up for our mailing list for more details and future events.
Why we built the OB1
I had great conversations with Road Bike Rider and The Gravel Ride Podcast recently about the story and ethos behind the OB1. Over 17 years in the industry, I’ve been a mechanic, pro cyclist, product developer at Specialized, and advisor to some of cycling’s leading innovators. The OB1 is the dream bike I built for myself and my friends.
The OB1 is a high-end carbon bicycle with carbon wheels and a premium spec that hammers roads, shreds gravel, and loves to travel. Its sleek endurance road geometry hides clearance for fat dirt tires and mounting points for all your gear. Choose between two premium carbon wheel packages (aero 700C, wide 650B, or both) and a range of gearing, crank length, stem length, and handlebar widths. You can even add a shifter-actuated dropper post to turn your OB1 into a full-on singletrack slayer. And it travels directly from the industry’s leading factories right to your doorstep, delivering a $6000-equivalent bike for $2999.
Alice and I founded THESIS to address some of biggest challenges facing our industry. Our approach of integrity, transparency, and inclusion informs everything we do. Our mission is to empower more people to join in the joy, adventure, and connection that comes with riding bicycles.