While our original spec results in our idea of the perfect bike, we can’t wait to see what yours looks like. Whether you’re looking to run vintage XTR with bar end shifters for touring, you’re a Campy person, or you want to migrate parts over from a past bike, our frame module sets you up to build your unique version of the OB1.
Frame module includes:
- Frame and fork (including bolts and spare frame hardware)
- Thesis Hollow-Light Thru-Axles
- Premium Stainless Headset
- Thesis Thread-Together Stainless BB
- Thesis Hollow-Forged Alloy Cranks with choice of chainring
- Thesis Ultralight Stem
- Thesis Ultralight 3-D Forged Rigid Seatpost
- Thesis Compact Ergo Flare Handlebar
- Spare derailleur hanger (we'd hate to leave you hanging)
Compatible with mechanical 1x, electronic 1x and 2x drivetrains only. Not compatible with mechanical front derailleurs
Want help building your perfect bike? Schedule a consult with one of our resident bike nerds to discuss your fit and chat about your build.
With nimble yet stable endurance geometry, the OB1 is truly a do it all machine.
Chase down roadies, explore some new singletrack, or load up for a long adventure. Join the N=1 revolution.
Current lead time: Frames ship in 2-4 weeks depending on size and color.
Frame modules require full assembly. We strongly suggest using a professional
mechanic to build your bike to ensure you get a safe and reliable machine.
Why you'll love the OB1
- Endurance road geometry for all day comfort and balanced handling.
- Tailored fit with customizable choice of stem length, bar width, and crank length.
- Optional integrated dropper post puts you in control when the going gets rough.
- Clearance for high volume tires up to 650B x 47mm and 700C x 40mm for exceptional traction and a smooth ride.
Click on the name of each component to learn more about why we chose it. Every detail is chosen for the optimal balance of performance, durability, and serviceability.
To learn more about our approach, check out how we built a high-end carbon dream bike.
- Spirited yet stable endurance road geometry
- Clearance for 650B x 47mm or 700C x 40mm
- Mounting points for (5) cages, fenders, a bento, and more
- Up to 46T or 50/34T chainrings
- Round 27.2 seat tube with traditional seat post clamp
- Construction: Reinforced Toray 800/700
- 1145g +/-5% (medium black w/o hardware)
WHY WE CHOSE ITFrom road to gravel to travel, our OB1 frameset is ready for every road. Its sleek road-bike design hides clearance for wide dirt tires and discreet mounting points for bags, fenders, extra bottles, and everything else you may need along the ride. From reinforcement at every hole and boss, to anti-corrosive fiberglass where carbon meets metal, to bolt-secured aluminum cable guides, we've invested in the details to deliver you performance without compromise.
- Accommodations for fenders, headlight, and cages
- Clearance for 650B x 47mm and 700C x 40mm tires
- Steersafe-reinforced carbon steerer
- 12x100mm thru-axle dropouts
- Reinforced Toray 800/700 carbon construction
- 445g fork | 45g SteerSafe
WHY WE CHOSE ITWe created SteerSafe to ensure your carbon steerer is fully supported against stem clamping forces. SteerSafe is an aluminum tube with built-in starnut that gets bonded into our carbon steerers at the factory. To shorten a SteerSafe equipped steerer, simply cut through the carbon and aluminum layers using a guide and a carbon-specific blade as you would a normal carbon steerer, then use ultra-fine sandpaper to create a smooth, slightly rounded edge. Finish by torquing the lubricated stem bolts to 5 Nm.
Note that we pre-cut our steerers to an exposed length of ~69mm, then bond in our SteerSafe insert from there. We do this to prevent folks from using a tall stack of spacers below a downward-pointed stem, as this can lead to imprecise steering. Those needing a more upright position should start be flipping the stem. Should this prove insufficient despite the OB1s relatively tall head tube, we recommend sourcing a 17 degree stem in order to maintain steering precision.
- Hollow bolt-on
- 6mm hex head
- Strong and durable 7075 alloy
- Just ~80g per set
WHY WE CHOSE ITOur hollow bolt-on thru-axles are machined from ultra-premium 7075 aluminum for strength, durability, and ease of wheel removal at less than half the weight of levered designs.
- Integrated look
- Traditional clamping interface for even distribution of forces
WHY WE CHOSE ITOB1's seat clamp achieves its integrated look while utilizing a traditional clamping interface that, unlike proprietary integrated designs, evenly distributes clamping forces to avoid seatpost creaking, slipping, or cracking.
- Stainless steel cartridge bearings
- Sealed upper cap
- Split crown race
- Upper: 41.8x30.5x8 | 45°x45°
- Lower: 51.9x40x8 | 45°x45°
WHY WE CHOSE ITDesigned for durability, our lightweight integrated headset features premium stainless steel bearings to prevent corrosion in wet and muddy conditions. The sealed top cap provides an extra barrier to water penetration and its replaceable aluminum split crown race protects the carbon steerer crown from wear while being less prone to creaking than non-split races.
- Rigid for use with long-cage derailleurs
- Axle threads directly into the hanger
- Extra included just in case
WHY WE CHOSE ITFlexy derailleur hangers compromise shifting and are quick to fail. The OB1's is stiff and strong to withstand the greater loads placed on it by today's long-cage derailleurs and wide range cassettes, but will still sacrifice itself to protect the derailleur and frame in the event of a major impact. And don't worry - we include an extra just in case. Mounting points for all your gear:
- 2 bottle mounts in the front triangle
- 1 bottle mount below the downtube
- 1 bento mount on the top tube
- 2 bottle mounts on the fork blades
- Front and rear fender mounts (seat stay bridge included)
- Wide central clamping area on handlebar
Max weight of rider + gear: 125kg (275lbs)
DETAILSThesis Hollow-Forged Alloy
- Hollow-forged 6061 alloy arms
- Machined 7075 alloy BB386EVO spindle
- Machined 7075 alloy narrow-wide chainring (6mm offset)
- Open-standard 3-bolt DM chainring interface
- Compatible with 4iiii single-sided power meters
- 625g crank (172.5), 99g chainring (42T)
WHY WE CHOSE ITStrong, Stiff, Light: Pick 3. How do you create a crank that achieves extraordinary stiffness-to-weight in an easily serviceable package that isn't afraid of a rock strike? Take two billets of ultra premium 7075 aluminum. Smash each under 600 tones of force to form two hollow, box-section arms. Then take another billet of that same alloy and machine it into a large diameter BB386 spindle to push the bottom bracket's oversized bearings as far apart as possible for even more stiffness and durability. Sandblast rather than polish all surfaces to pound-out microfractures, and anodize everything for an even harder and longer-wearing finish.
- Precision-milled, thread-together aluminum shell
- Premium NSK Japan 6806 stainless steel sealed cartridge bearings
- Open standard BB386EVO interfaces
- 29mm spindle adaptors used with SRAM cranks
WHY WE CHOSE ITOur thread-together aluminum BB shell is strong and stiff to ensure perfect alignment and support our widely-spaced, large-ball cartridge bearings. It's the same $70+ solution that mechanics turn to when cheap press fit bottom brackets creak and fail. It adds a handful of grams and quite a bit of cost, and we think the increased durability, efficiency-under-load, and general peace of mind are well worth the investment.
- 116mm drop | 75mm reach | 10 ° flare
- Comfy aero flat top
- Wide central clamping area for accessories
- Double butted alloy
WHY WE CHOSE ITAero on the tops, control and comfort in the drops. With a short reach, shallow drop, and subtle 10° of flare, our handlebar keeps you comfy when motoring on the hoods while offering greater leverage when cornering, descending, or shredding dirt in the drops, all while reducing back and wrist strain. Its wide central clamping area allows you to attach a bell, GPS, bar bag, aero clip-ons, or all 4 at once if that's what your adventure requires.
- 3D-forged 7050 aluminum
- 7° angle
- Exceeds ISO Road and MTB standards
- 105g (100mm)
WHY WE CHOSE ITA top-of-the-line stem equivalent to others retailing at $100+, our 7050-series alloy stem is stronger, stiffer, and lighter than others' $250+ carbon offerings.
- Bombproof 18T Star Ratchet engagement system
- (4) 6902 sealed cartridge bearings
- Centerlock rotor interfaces
- 12 x 142mm thru-axle
WHY WE CHOSE ITRear hubs are notoriously prone to failure due to the extreme loads and environmental stresses they experience. That's why we invested in DT Swiss' rightfully venerated DT350 rear hub. It features the famously strong and durable Star Ratchet engagement system, large 6902 sealed cartridge bearings, tool-less serviceability and convertibility to other axle or freehub standards, and a centerlock interface for easy rotor installation and removal.
The DT350 hub is 2.5x stronger, 5x more durable, and 3-5x more expensive than the pawl-based models most brands employ to reduce cost. Whether you're ripping it up on singletrack, touring through a remote wilderness, or simply putting in long miles year after year, these are the hubs you'll want to trust to keep you going.
You can learn more about DT's Star Ratchet engagement system here.
- (2) premium 6802 sealed cartridge bearings
- Centerlock rotor interface
- 28h J-bend flanges
- 12 x 100mm thru-axle
- 136g +/- 5%
WHY WE CHOSE ITDT350 hubs are renowned for their durability, serviceability, and adaptability. They achieve their light weight without resorting to durability-compromising tricks. What do we mean? Just as there are brands that will use failure-prone aluminum nipples to shave grams, there are others who may spec a hub with tiny bearings and a narrow hub shell to achieve an eye-catching weight. However, those small bearings wear out fast, and that narrow shell may not withstand the torsional loads associated with disc brakes.
- Cold forged
- Aero bladed
- Sandvik T302+ stainless steel
- Single length
- 4.3g each
WHY WE CHOSE ITWhy invest so much on so many fancy wing-shaped spokes? Because the same cold-forging process that turns a length of round straight-gauge wire into a light and aero wing spoke also improves strength-to-weight and elastication by realigning the grain flow of the metal and reducing its cross-sectional area. The result is a spoke that can be run at high tension while experiencing less change in tension and thus fatigue with each wheel rotation or impact. Furthermore, unlike cheaper round "butted" spokes that are in fact cold-forged in a similar process, wing,-shaped spokes can be tensioned without inducing spoke wind-up, further extending the life of the wheel.
Our rims are asymmetrical, allowing us to balance spoke tensions for even more durability and stiffness while also allowing a single length of spoke to be used throughout the entire wheelset for ease of repair.
- Durable brass
- Resists seizing, splitting, & other failure modes
- Can be trued with tires and rim-tape in place
- 1g each
WHY WE CHOSE ITWhy do mechanics love externally-adjustable brass nipples? Aluminum nipples are a trick used by some brands achieve attention-grabbing weights at the expense of durability and serviceability. Aluminum oxidizes and is much softer than brass, making aluminum nipples notoriously prone to seizure, splitting, and failure. The result is that a simple wheel true can turn into a costly rebuild with new nipples and spokes. Weight savings? Less than 18 grams per wheel.
As for the hidden nipples used by some brands, no one envies having to remove your tires, sealant, rim tape, and valve stems just to perform necessary maintenance. Aerodynamic advantage? Zero. Zilch. Nada.
- Each wheel is built by a single, skilled professional
- 2-cross lacing for lateral and rotational strength
- 28 spokes for durability and stiffness
WHY WE CHOSE ITStrong, durable wheels require more than the best components. That's why we invested having our wheels professionally hand-built and machine checked. With a professional touch-up at 1200 miles and regular check-ups for tension and true, our wheels will continue to perform year after year.
All figures in millimeters unless otherwise indicated.
What they're saying about the OB1
"I've been playing bikes for over twenty years now. This bike inspires a mix of speed, fun and confidence I've never felt before. I had high expectations for this bike, and I’m happy to say it has blown me away." - Rachel C.
“I've been loving my OB1. It's opened up a whole other world of riding for me with many new places to explore. Every time I'm on a new trail, I'm blown away by the beauty of the new places I'm discovering, excited to go out and try a route I've never done before and very thankful I have the OB1 to take me to all these places I previously couldn't go to before.” - Andy W.