A good fit is fundamental to building the perfect bike, yet it's one of the most overlooked aspects for many riders. Put simply, a bike that’s fit to your unique body and biomechanics will reduce risk of injury, improve comfort, power, and efficiency, and ultimately make you a faster, happier rider.
That's why we offer deep customization of fit and gearing for free on all of our bikes.
Want help building your perfect bike? Schedule a consult with one of our resident bike nerds to discuss fit, gearing, and spec.
Our original legendary all-road gravel bike. With bombproof carbon wheels, crisp-shifting SRAM 1x drivetrains, powerful hydraulic brakes, and gearing options for every ride, the OB1 is equipped to tackle the steepest pitches you point it up (or down).
Professionally built-to-order with meticulously-curated components described by James Huang of CyclingTips as "a masterclass in OEM spec", the OB1 is a bespoke all-road joy machine that's made to last.
Chase down roadies, explore some new singletrack, or load up for a long adventure. Join the N=1 revolution.
Current lead time:Current inventory is limited by COVID related supply chain interruptions.
Please contact us for the latest lead times for your spec.
Weight: ~18.5 lbs (size M, standard seatpost)
Arrives 85% assembled (see prep guide)
Why you'll love the OB1
- Endurance road geometry for all day comfort and balanced handling.
- Bombproof carbon wheels built for speed, strength, and durability at a race-ready weight. Choose between 650Bs and 700Cs, or swap 'em in 90 seconds.
- Tailored fit with customizable choice of stem length, bar width, and crank length.
- Optional integrated dropper post puts you in control when the going gets rough.
Gearing for every adventure
- Wide-range 1x drivetrains for crisp simple shifting with no cross-chaining, chain slap, or chain drop, and a cage-lock feature on the derailleur for swapping between wheelsets.
- Rider-specific gearing with your choice of chainring and cassette for both 650B and 700C wheelsets, allowing optimal low end gearing for steep dirt and top end gearing to keep pace with the pack on road rides.
- Hollow-forged cranks offer incredible stiffness and durability.
Obsessive on the details
- A creak-free bottom bracket with oversized Japanese stainless steel bearings and a 2-piece aluminum shell that threads together for perfect alignment.
- Tubeless done right with high-volume tires matched to wide rims for easy set-up, fewer flats, greater efficiency, and an extra smooth ride.
- Shock-absorbing bar tape and a remarkably comfortable saddle for all day riding.
- Mounting points galore for bags, extra bottles, fenders, bento, and any other gear you need for your all-day (or all-month) adventure.
Click on the name of each component to learn more about why we chose it. Every detail, down to the bolts and bearings, is selected for the optimal balance of performance, durability, and serviceability.
To learn more about our approach, check out how we built a high-end carbon dream bike.
- Spirited yet stable endurance road geometry
- Clearance for 650B x 47mm or 700C x 40mm
- Mounting points for (5) cages, fenders, a bento, and more
- Up to 46T or 50/34T chainrings
- Round 27.2 seat tube with traditional seat post clamp
- Construction: Reinforced Toray 800/700
- 1145g +/-5% (medium black w/o hardware)
WHY WE CHOSE ITFrom road to gravel to travel, our OB1 frameset is ready for every road. Its sleek road-bike design hides clearance for wide dirt tires and discreet mounting points for bags, fenders, extra bottles, and everything else you may need along the ride. From reinforcement at every hole and boss, to anti-corrosive fiberglass where carbon meets metal, to bolt-secured aluminum cable guides, we've invested in the details to deliver you performance without compromise.
- Accommodations for fenders, headlight, and cages
- Clearance for 650B x 47mm and 700C x 40mm tires
- Steersafe-reinforced carbon steerer
- 12x100mm thru-axle dropouts
- Reinforced Toray 800/700 carbon construction
- 445g fork | 45g SteerSafe
WHY WE CHOSE ITWe created SteerSafe to ensure your carbon steerer is fully supported against stem clamping forces. SteerSafe is an aluminum tube with built-in starnut that gets bonded into our carbon steerers at the factory. To shorten a SteerSafe equipped steerer, simply cut through the carbon and aluminum layers using a guide and a carbon-specific blade as you would a normal carbon steerer, then use ultra-fine sandpaper to create a smooth, slightly rounded edge. Finish by torquing the lubricated stem bolts to 5 Nm.
Note that we pre-cut our steerers to an exposed length of ~69mm, then bond in our SteerSafe insert from there. We do this to prevent folks from using a tall stack of spacers below a downward-pointed stem, as this can lead to imprecise steering. Those needing a more upright position should start be flipping the stem. Should this prove insufficient despite the OB1s relatively tall head tube, we recommend sourcing a 17 degree stem in order to maintain steering precision.
- Hollow bolt-on
- 6mm hex head
- Strong and durable 7075 alloy
- Just ~80g per set
WHY WE CHOSE ITOur hollow bolt-on thru-axles are machined from ultra-premium 7075 aluminum for strength, durability, and ease of wheel removal at less than half the weight of levered designs.
- Integrated look
- Traditional clamping interface for even distribution of forces
WHY WE CHOSE ITOB1's seat clamp achieves its integrated look while utilizing a traditional clamping interface that, unlike proprietary integrated designs, evenly distributes clamping forces to avoid seatpost creaking, slipping, or cracking.
- Stainless steel cartridge bearings
- Sealed upper cap
- Split crown race
- Upper: 41.8x30.5x8 | 45°x45°
- Lower: 51.9x40x8 | 45°x45°
WHY WE CHOSE ITDesigned for durability, our lightweight integrated headset features premium stainless steel bearings to prevent corrosion in wet and muddy conditions. The sealed top cap provides an extra barrier to water penetration and its replaceable aluminum split crown race protects the carbon steerer crown from wear while being less prone to creaking than non-split races.
- Rigid for use with long-cage derailleurs
- Axle threads directly into the hanger
- Extra included just in case
WHY WE CHOSE ITFlexy derailleur hangers compromise shifting and are quick to fail. The OB1's is stiff and strong to withstand the greater loads placed on it by today's long-cage derailleurs and wide range cassettes, but will still sacrifice itself to protect the derailleur and frame in the event of a major impact. And don't worry - we include an extra just in case. Mounting points for all your gear:
- 2 bottle mounts in the front triangle
- 1 bottle mount below the downtube
- 1 bento mount on the top tube
- 2 bottle mounts on the fork blades
- Front and rear fender mounts (seat stay bridge included)
- Wide central clamping area on handlebar
Max weight of rider + gear: 125kg (275lbs)
- 116mm drop | 75mm reach | 10 ° flare
- Comfy aero flat top
- Wide central clamping area for accessories
- Double butted alloy
WHY WE CHOSE ITAero on the tops, control and comfort in the drops. With a short reach, shallow drop, and subtle 10° of flare, our handlebar keeps you comfy when motoring on the hoods while offering greater leverage when cornering, descending, or shredding dirt in the drops, all while reducing back and wrist strain. Its wide central clamping area allows you to attach a bell, GPS, bar bag, aero clip-ons, or all 4 at once if that's what your adventure requires.
- 3D-forged 7050 aluminum
- 7° angle
- Exceeds ISO Road and MTB standards
- 105g (100mm)
WHY WE CHOSE ITA top-of-the-line stem equivalent to others retailing at $100+, our 7050-series alloy stem is stronger, stiffer, and lighter than others' $250+ carbon offerings.
- 148 width
- 244 length
- Wide, supportive nose
- Pressure relieving padding and cutout
- Hollow Cr-Mo rails 260g
- Carbon Fiber rails 205g (+$50)
WHY WE CHOSE ITWide, short, cut-out saddles like ours first gained popularity among triathletes and time-trialists looking for improved comfort over long stints in extremely aggressive positions. Eventually roadies and mountain bikers discovered their benefits and brought them into their disciplines as well. With a bit more cushion for mixed terrain riding and hollow Cr-Mo rails for outstanding strength (or carbon fiber rails for a slightly lighter package), this is a saddle meant for long days on rough roads. Our riders love these saddles so much that many have outfitted their entire stable with them.
DRIVETRAIN & BRAKING
DETAILSThesis Hollow-Forged Alloy
- Hollow-forged 6061 alloy arms
- Machined 7075 alloy BB386EVO spindle
- Machined 7075 alloy narrow-wide chainring (6mm offset)
- Open-standard 3-bolt DM chainring interface
- Compatible with 4iiii single-sided power meters
- 625g crank (172.5), 99g chainring (42T)
WHY WE CHOSE ITStrong, Stiff, Light: Pick 3. How do you create a crank that achieves extraordinary stiffness-to-weight in an easily serviceable package that isn't afraid of a rock strike? Take two billets of ultra premium 7075 aluminum. Smash each under 600 tones of force to form two hollow, box-section arms. Then take another billet of that same alloy and machine it into a large diameter BB386 spindle to push the bottom bracket's oversized bearings as far apart as possible for even more stiffness and durability. Sandblast rather than polish all surfaces to pound-out microfractures, and anodize everything for an even harder and longer-wearing finish.
DETAILSSRAM Force 1 Carbon
- Lightweight carbon arms
- DUB-standard 29mm spindle
- Compatible with SRAM dual and 4iiii single-sided power meters
WHY WE CHOSE ITSRAM's Force 1 AXS carbon crankset offers ~100g of weight savings and is compatible with their spider-based dual-sided power meter. SRAM does not offer lengths below 165mm, so riders should select our Thesis Hollow-Forged cranks to ensure proportional crank length.
DETAILSSRAM Centerline 160mm
- Stainless steel with alloy spider
- 160mm front and rear
WHY WE CHOSE ITSRAM's Centerline 160mm rotors offer a blend of power, modulation, smooth operation, and heat-management. We chose Centerlock over a 6-bolt interface easier installation or removal when traveling.
- Precision-milled, thread-together aluminum shell
- Premium NSK Japan 6806 stainless steel sealed cartridge bearings
- Open standard BB386EVO interfaces
- 29mm spindle adaptors used with SRAM cranks
WHY WE CHOSE ITOur thread-together aluminum BB shell is strong and stiff to ensure perfect alignment and support our widely-spaced, large-ball cartridge bearings. It's the same $70+ solution that mechanics turn to when cheap press fit bottom brackets creak and fail. It adds a handful of grams and quite a bit of cost, and we think the increased durability, efficiency-under-load, and general peace of mind are well worth the investment.
Want to build your own OB1 from the ground up? Check out our Frameset Module option.
- Bombproof 18T Star Ratchet engagement system
- (4) 6902 sealed cartridge bearings
- Centerlock rotor interfaces
- 12 x 142mm thru-axle
WHY WE CHOSE ITRear hubs are notoriously prone to failure due to the extreme loads and environmental stresses they experience. That's why we invested in DT Swiss' rightfully venerated DT350 rear hub. It features the famously strong and durable Star Ratchet engagement system, large 6902 sealed cartridge bearings, tool-less serviceability and convertibility to other axle or freehub standards, and a centerlock interface for easy rotor installation and removal.
The DT350 hub is 2.5x stronger, 5x more durable, and 3-5x more expensive than the pawl-based models most brands employ to reduce cost. Whether you're ripping it up on singletrack, touring through a remote wilderness, or simply putting in long miles year after year, these are the hubs you'll want to trust to keep you going.
You can learn more about DT's Star Ratchet engagement system here.
- (2) premium 6802 sealed cartridge bearings
- Centerlock rotor interface
- 12 x 100mm thru-axle
- 136g +/- 5%
WHY WE CHOSE ITDT350 hubs are renowned for their durability, serviceability, and adaptability. They achieve their light weight without resorting to durability-compromising tricks. What do we mean? Just as there are brands that will use failure-prone aluminum nipples to shave grams, there are others who may spec a hub with tiny bearings and a narrow hub shell to achieve an eye-catching weight. However, those small bearings wear out fast, and that narrow shell may not withstand the torsional loads associated with disc brakes.
- Cold forged
- Aero bladed
- Sandvik T302+ stainless steel
- Single length
- 4.3g each
WHY WE CHOSE ITWhy invest so much on so many fancy wing-shaped spokes? Because the same cold-forging process that turns a length of round straight-gauge wire into a light and aero wing spoke also improves strength-to-weight and elastication by realigning the grain flow of the metal and reducing its cross-sectional area. The result is a spoke that can be run at high tension while experiencing less change in tension and thus fatigue with each wheel rotation or impact. Furthermore, unlike cheaper round "butted" spokes that are in fact cold-forged in a similar process, wing,-shaped spokes can be tensioned without inducing spoke wind-up, further extending the life of the wheel.
Our rims are asymmetrical, allowing us to balance spoke tensions for even more durability and stiffness while also allowing a single length of spoke to be used throughout the entire wheelset for ease of repair.
- Durable brass
- Resists seizing, splitting, & other failure modes
- Can be trued with tires and rim-tape in place
- 1g each
WHY WE CHOSE ITWhy do mechanics love externally-adjustable brass nipples? Aluminum nipples are a trick used by some brands achieve attention-grabbing weights at the expense of durability and serviceability. Aluminum oxidizes and is much softer than brass, making aluminum nipples notoriously prone to seizure, splitting, and failure. The result is that a simple wheel true can turn into a costly rebuild with new nipples and spokes. Weight savings? Less than 18 grams per wheel.
As for the hidden nipples used by some brands, no one envies having to remove your tires, sealant, rim tape, and valve stems just to perform necessary maintenance. Aerodynamic advantage? Zero. Zilch. Nada.
- Each wheel is built by a single, skilled professional
- 2-cross lacing for lateral and rotational strength
- 28 spokes for durability and stiffness
WHY WE CHOSE ITStrong, durable wheels require more than the best components. That's why we invested having our wheels professionally hand-built and machine checked. With a professional touch-up at 1200 miles and regular check-ups for tension and true, our wheels will continue to perform year after year.
All figures in millimeters unless otherwise indicated.
What they're saying about the OB1
"I've been playing bikes for over twenty years now. This bike inspires a mix of speed, fun and confidence I've never felt before. I had high expectations for this bike, and I’m happy to say it has blown me away." - Rachel C.
“I've been loving my OB1. It's opened up a whole other world of riding for me with many new places to explore. Every time I'm on a new trail, I'm blown away by the beauty of the new places I'm discovering, excited to go out and try a route I've never done before and very thankful I have the OB1 to take me to all these places I previously couldn't go to before.” - Andy W.
Find your perfect ride