The original, reimagined. With a crisply shifting wireless electronic SRAM AXS 1x drivetrain, hydraulic brakes, and wide range 12 speed cassette, the OB1 AXS 1x is equipped to handle the steepest pitches you point it up, or down. Our premium aluminum cockpit components round out a parts spec that won’t let you down or leave you wanting.
Chase down roadies, explore some new singletrack, or load up for a long adventure. Join the N=1 revolution.
Current lead time: Current inventory is limited by COVID related supply chain interruptions.
Please contact us for the most up to date lead times at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Weight: ~18.5 lbs (size M, standard seatpost)
Arrives 85% assembled (see prep guide)
Why you'll love the OB1
- Endurance road geometry for all day comfort and balanced handling.
- Bombproof carbon wheels built for speed, strength, and durability at a race-ready weight. Choose between 650Bs and 700Cs, or swap 'em in 90 seconds.
- Tubeless done right with high-volume tires matched to wide rims for easy set-up, lower pressures, fewer flats, and an extra smooth ride.
Gearing for every adventure
- SRAM AXS wireless electronic drivetrain offers crisp shifting with a light touch.
- Massive range cassettes gives you a bailout gear for the steepest climbs and loaded bikepacking trips, while maintaining the top end you need to keep pace on a spirited road ride.
- SRAM GX AXS clutched derailleur prevents chain drop and chain slap, with a cage-lock feature on the rear derailleur that makes it super easy to swap wheels or fix a flat.
Obsessive on the details
- A creak-free bottom bracket from Wheels Manufacturing with silicone dust covers, oversized stainless steel bearings, and a 2-piece aluminum shell that threads together for proper bearing alignment and support.
- A remarkably comfortable saddle for all day riding.
- Dual-sprung star-ratchet hubs for outstanding strength and reliability.
- Optional dropper seatpost for enhanced control and confidence off-road and on.
Click on the name of each component to learn more about why we chose it. Every detail, down to the bolts and bearings, is selected for the optimal balance of performance, durability, and serviceability.
To learn more about our approach, check out how we built a high-end carbon dream bike.
DETAILS- Endurance road geometry
- Clearance for 650B x 47mm or 700C x 40mm tires
- Discreet mounting points for: (5) bottle cages, racks, bento, and clip-on accessories
- Clean internal routing for hoses and full cable housings, with foam sleeves sheathing for sound dampening
- Round, dropper-ready 27.2 seat tube
- Accommodates up to 46T single or 50/34T double chainrings
- Reinforced Toray 800/700 blend carbon construction
- Fiberglass anti-corrosive layer at seatpost, bottom bracket, and headset interfaces
- 1145g +/-5% (medium, black finish, frame w/o hardware)
Choice of: XS, S, M, L, XL (See Geometry)
WHY WE CHOSE ITFrom road to gravel to travel, our OB1 frameset is ready for every road. Its sleek road-bike design hides clearance for wide dirt tires and discreet mounting points for bags, fenders, racks, extra bottles, and everything else the ride demands. From reinforcement at every hole and boss, to anti-corrosive fiberglass where carbon meets metal, to bolt-secured aluminum cable guides, we've invested in the details to deliver you performance without compromise.
DETAILS- Steersafe-reinforced carbon steerer
- Clearance for 650b x 47mm | 700c x 40mm tires
- Accommodations for fenders, headlight, light, and bottle cages
- 12x100mm thru-axle dropouts
- Reinforced Toray 800/700 carbon construction
- ~495g total with SteerSafe installed
WHY WE CHOSE ITWe created SteerSafe to ensure your carbon steerer is fully supported against stem clamping forces. SteerSafe is an aluminum tube with built-in starnut that gets bonded into our carbon steerers at the factory. To shorten a SteerSafe equipped steerer, simply cut through the carbon and aluminum layers using a guide and a carbon-specific blade as you would a normal carbon steerer, then use ultra-fine sandpaper to create a smooth, slightly rounded edge. Finish by torquing the lubricated stem bolts to 5 Nm.
DETAILS- Hollow bolt-on with 6mm hex head
- 12mm front | rear
- Thread length and pitch matched to OB1 frame/fork
- Machined 7075 aluminum
WHY WE CHOSE ITEach thru-axle is machined from a single billet of ultra-premium 7075 aluminum. With a built-in washer for smooth installation, our bolt-on thru-axles offer stiffness, security, and easy wheel removal without the extra ~100g of weight of levered designs and uses a 6mm hex wrench.
DETAILS- Standard interface for even clamping
- Steel bolt & threaded insert for trouble-free adjustment
WHY WE CHOSE ITOB1's seat clamp achieves its integrated look while utilizing a traditional clamping interface that, unlike many proprietary integrated designs, evenly distributes clamping forces. This helps prevent damage to frame or post, post slippage, or post binding (dropper post). We finish it off with a lubricated nut and bolt for a lifetime of trouble-free use. Be sure to coat your seat post with grip paste before installing.
DETAILS- Upper: 41.8x30.5x8 | 45°x45°
- Lower: 51.9x40x8 | 45°x45°
- Sealed upper cap
- Replaceable aluminum split crown race
WHY WE CHOSE ITSelected for durability, OB1's extra large 1-1/2” angular contact lower cartridge bearing distributes the extreme loads this component experiences over more and larger balls. The sealed top cap provides an extra barrier to water penetration and its replaceable aluminum split crown race protects the carbon steerer crown from wear while being less prone to creaking than non-split races. While it adds a handful of grams relative to smaller diameter options, we don't believe in shedding weight at the expense of durability.
DETAILS- 1-bolt replaceable
- Stiff for use with long-cage derailleurs
- Axle threads directly into the hanger
- Extra included just in case
WHY WE CHOSE ITFlexy derailleur hangers compromise shifting and are quick to fail. OB1's is stiff and strong to withstand the greater loads placed on it by today's long-cage derailleurs and wide range cassettes, but will still sacrifice itself to protect the derailleur and frame in the event of a major impact. And don't worry - we include an extra just in case. Mounting points for all your gear:
- 2 bottle mounts in the front triangle
- 1 bottle mount below the downtube
- 1 bento mount on the top tube
- 2 bottle mounts on the fork blades
- Front and rear fender mounts (seat stay bridge included)
- Wide central clamping area on handlebar
Note: For optimum performance, load your heaviest items in a frame bag secured in the main triangle. We do not recommend using bolt on racks.
Max weight of rider + gear: 115kg (254lb)
DETAILS- 116mm drop | 75mm reach | 10 ° flare
- Comfy flat top sections
- Wide 100-180mm x 31.8mm clamp area
- Double butted 6061 aluminum (420mm uses 2014 aluminum)
Choice of: 360, 380, 400, 420, 440mm widths (center-to-center at the hoods)
WHY WE CHOSE ITAero on the tops, control and comfort in the drops. With a short reach, shallow drop, and subtle 10° of flare, our handlebar keeps you narrow when motoring on the hoods while offering greater leverage when cornering, descending, or shredding dirt in the drops, all while reducing back and wrist strain. Its wide central clamping area allows you to attach a bell, GPS, bar bag, aero clip-ons, or all 4 at once if that's what your adventure requires.
DETAILS- 3D forged 7050 aluminum
- 7° angle
- ~105g (100mm)
Choice of: 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120 mm lengths
WHY WE CHOSE ITA top-of-the-line stem equivalent to others retailing at $100+, our 7050-series aluminum stem is strong and stiff yet lighter than others' $300+ carbon stems.
DETAILS- 148 width
- 244 length
- Wide, supportive nose
- Pressure relieving padding and cutout
- Hollow Cr-Mo rails (260g) or Carbon rails (~205g)
WHY WE CHOSE ITWide, short, cut-out saddles like this one first gained popularity among triathletes and time-trialists looking for improved comfort over long stints in extremely aggressive positions. Eventually roadies and mountain bikers discovered their benefits and brought them into their disciplines as well. With a bit more cushion for mixed terrain riding and hollow Cr-Mo rails for outstanding strength, this is a saddle meant for long days on rough roads.
We spec our Endurance 148 saddle across our entire line of bikes. Our riders love it so much that many have outfitted their entire stable with them.
DRIVETRAIN & BRAKING
DETAILSThesis Narrow-Wide Direct Mount
- Direct mount for stiffness, weight, & easy swapping
- Long-wearing 7075 aluminum
- Standard SRAM-type 3-bolt interface | 6mm offset
- ~99g (42T)
Choice of: 38, 40, 42, 44, and 46 tooth options
SRAM Force AXS 42T
WHY WE CHOSE ITMachined from a single plate of long wearing 7075-series aluminum to eliminate every unnecessary gram, our chainrings feature contoured narrow-wide teeth for smooth, drop-free operation and direct-mount interfaces for a stiffer and lighter overall system.
Mixed-terrain riding often requires ultra low gearing, particularly when slogging gear up steep dirt roads. Paired with a 10-50T cassette, a 42T chainring offers a monster 520% range with considerably more low end grunt than most 2x options for steep dirt climbs while maintaining plenty of top end for high speed road descents.
DETAILSSRAM Eagle XG-1275
- 520%% range
e*thirteen Helix R
- 556% range
WHY WE CHOSE ITSRAM's XG-1275 offers expanded range at a reasonable pricepoint. Sporting 12 speeds and 520% range, you'll always have the right gear for your fitness and terrain.
Immense gear range without a weight penalty makes the e*thirteen Helix R an excellent choice for a number of use cases. The 9-50T offers a best in class 556% range, with a 9T overdrive gear that won't spin out when chasing a fast group ride down a fast road descent, and a 50T bailout gear for plenty of low-end grunt for even the steepest climbs.
DETAILS- AXS wireless electronic
- Cage-lock feature for easy wheel swaps
- Roller bearing clutch eliminates derailleur bounce and chain slap
WHY WE CHOSE ITWith identical shift quality to their top-end XX1 AXS offering, SRAM's GX AXS electronic rear derailleur offers wireless 12 speed electronic shifting with the ability to accomodate a massive 52T cog.
DETAILS- Wireless 12-speed electronic shifting
- Powerful, easily modulated hydraulic disc braking
- Reach adjust to fit hands of all sizes
WHY WE CHOSE ITSRAM's Rival AXS levers take the excellent shifting and braking we've come to love SRAM, with light-touch wireless electronic shifting.
DETAILSThesis Hollow-Forged BB386EVO
- Stiff, hollow box-section arms
- Lightweight & tough 7075 aluminum
- Wide-stance BB386 spindle (30 x 86.5mm)
- SRAM-type 3-bolt direct mount chainring interface
- 1-bolt removable drive-side arm
- Compatible with 4iiii power meters
- ~625 grams (172.5mm)
Choice of: 155, 160, 165, 170, 172.5, 175mm
SRAM Force 1 DUB Carbon 12spd
- 42T chainring
- Lightweight carbon arms
- DUB-standard 29mm spindle
Choice of: 165, 170, 172.5, 175mm
WHY WE CHOSE ITStrong, Stiff, Light: Pick 3. How do you create a crank that achieves extraordinary stiffness-to-weight in an easily serviceable package that isn't afraid of a rock strike? Take two billets of ultra premium 7075 aluminum. Smash each under 600 tones of force to form two hollow, box-section arms. Then take another billet of that same alloy and machine it into a large diameter BB386 spindle to push the bottom bracket's oversized bearings as far apart as possible for even more stiffness and durability. Sandblast rather than polish all surfaces to pound-out microfractures, and anodize everything for an even harder and longer-wearing finish.
SRAM's Force 1 AXS carbon crankset offers the best combination of light weight, durability, and gearing range of any crankset within SRAM's line. We went with their 42T chainring for an optimal balance of top-end speed and low-end grunt, allowing you to tackle everything from screaming road descents to loaded dirt climbs.
DETAILS- Precision-milled, thread-together aluminum shell
- Premium 6806 stainless steel sealed cartridge bearings
- Silicone dust covers
- Built to the open BB386EVO standard
WHY WE CHOSE ITWheels Manufacturing's precision-milled, thread-together bottom bracket is strong and stiff to ensure proper bearing alignment and support, with silicone dust covers for an extra layer of protection against water and dirt. It's the same solution that mechanics turn to when the cheap, plastic press fit bottom brackets inevitably start to creak and fail. It adds quite a bit of cost and a handful of grams, but we think the increased durability, efficiency-under-load, and general peace-of-mind are well worth the investment.
DETAILS- Chrome hardened pins
- Anti-friction and anti-corrosion finishes
- Includes quick link
- 244g (114 links)
WHY WE CHOSE ITChains are a wear item that should be checked, cleaned, lubed, and replaced frequently for optimal performance and to preserve your expensive chainrings, cassettes, and derailleur pulleys. Within SRAM's line, we chose the GX 12-speed chain for its hardened steels and anti-friction/anti-corrosion finishes.
DETAILS- Stainless steel
- 160mm front | rear
WHY WE CHOSE ITSRAM's Centerline 160mm rotors offer a blend of power, modulation, smooth operation, and heat-management. We chose a Centerlock interface for easier installation and removal.
DETAILS- Single-port USB charger for SRAM eTAP AXS batteries
WHY WE CHOSE ITAn electronic drivetrain won't do you much good without a means to charge it, so we of course include a charger with every bike.
Want to build your own OB1 from the ground up? Check out our Frameset Module option.
DETAILS- Famously bombproof dual-sprung "Star Ratchet" (we only use the tried and true original design, as the updated EXP Ratchets have shown some reliability issues)
- (4) premium 6902 sealed, large-ball cartridge bearings
- Centerlock rotor interfaces for easy rotor removal/installation when traveling
- 24 hole straight-pull
- 12 x 142mm thru-axle (convertible to other standards)
- SRAM XDR freehub (with spacer for our XD cassettes)
WHY WE CHOSE ITExtreme loads and environmental stresses make rear hubs notoriously prone to failure. That's why we invested in DT Swiss's rightfully venerated DT350 rear hub. It features the famously strong and durable Star Ratchet engagement system, large 6902 sealed cartridge bearings, tool-less serviceability and convertibility to other axle or freehub standards, and a centerlock interface for easy rotor installation and removal.
This hub is twice as strong and 3-5x more expensive than the traditional pawl-based models some brands employ to reduce cost, and weighs only a few grams more than the under-built models often employed to achieve attention grabbing weights at the expense of durability.
We've reviewed the testing data, talked to mechanics, and have been abusing DT Star Ratchet hubs ourselves for over 15 years. Whether you're ripping it up on singletrack, touring through some remote wilderness, or simply putting in long miles year after year, these are the hubs you'll want to trust to keep you going.
DETAILS- (2) premium 6802 sealed cartridge bearings
- Centerlock rotor interface
- 24h straight-pull
- 12 x 100mm thru-axle
WHY WE CHOSE ITDT350 front hubs are famously durable, serviceable, and adaptable. They also achieve their light weight without resorting to durability-compromising tricks. What do we mean? Just as there are brands that will use failure-prone aluminum nipples to shave grams, there are others who may spec a hub with tiny bearings and a narrow hub shell to achieve an eye-catching weight. However, those small bearings wear out fast, and that narrow shell may not withstand the torsional loads associated with disc brakes.
DETAILS- Cold forged
- Aero bladed
- Sandvik T302+ stainless (Sweden)
- Single length shared between both wheelsets
- 4.3g each
WHY WE CHOSE IT Why invest so much on so many fancy bladed spokes? Because the same cold-forging process that turns a length of round straight-gauge wire into a light and aero bladed spoke also improves strength-to-weight and elastication by realigning the grain flow of the metal and reducing its cross-sectional area. The result is a spoke that can be run at high tension while experiencing less change in tension and thus fatigue with each wheel rotation or impact. Furthermore, unlike cheaper round "butted" spokes that are in fact cold-forged in a similar process, bladed spokes can easily be built into a wheel and later trued without inducing spoke wind-up, further extending the life of the wheel. To cap it off, we went with a single length shared between both wheelsets to make it easier to find should one fail, and stuck with 24 spokes (plenty when paired with asymmetric rims to balance spoke tensions) in a 2x lacing pattern to make it unlikely one ever will.
DETAILS- Resists seizing, splitting, & other failure modes
- Can be trued without removing tires and rim-tape
- 1.2g each
WHY WE CHOSE ITWhy do mechanics love externally adjustable brass nipples? Aluminum nipples are a trick used by some brands achieve attention-grabbing weights at the expense of durability and serviceability. Aluminum oxidizes and is much softer than brass, making aluminum nipples notoriously prone to seizure, splitting, and failure. The result is that a simple wheel true can turn into a costly rebuild with new nipples and spokes. Weight savings? Less than 18 grams per wheel.
As for the hidden nipples used by some uber expensive brands, no one envies having to remove your tires, sealant, rim tape, and valve stems just to perform necessary maintenance. Aerodynamic advantage? Zero. Zilch. Nada.
DETAILS- Each wheel is built by a single, skilled professional
- 2-cross lacing for lateral and rotational strength
- 24 spokes for durability and stiffness
WHY WE CHOSE ITStrong, durable wheels require more than the best components. That's why we invested having our wheels professionally hand-built and machine checked. With a professional touch-up at 1200 miles and regular check-ups for tension and true, our wheels will continue to perform year after year.
All figures in millimeters unless otherwise indicated.
What they're saying about the OB1
“LOVE my Thesis. It's really astonishing how fun it is to ride. The 650b wheels make it incredibly fun to shred fire roads and gravel, and the 700c wheels with 30mm tubeless tires are fast and make chip seal feel like glass. You guys have a winner.” - Kelly F.
"My appreciation for the thoughtfulness that went into the bike increases the more I ride it. I love what you guys are doing." - Rich J.